Thursday, July 21, 2005

 

McKinney Christian's Aja to Lucas Christian Academy

By BRENT YARINA, McKinney Courier-Gazette

Rene Aja is returning home after three years at McKinney Christian Academy.

Aja, the MCA head football coach the past two seasons, was named the athletic director at Lucas Christian Academy on July 1.

The former Mustang head coach led MCA to a 16-6 record and two playoff berths in his two seasons. Aja came to MCA in 2002 via Dallas Metro, where he coached for six years.

"It took some time and prayer," Aja said of his decision to leave MCA. "When it came down to it, Lucas and I met each other's needs."

As the athletic director of Lucas, Aja will control the day-to-day athletic duties and coach football, track and girls basketball, something he did at Metro but not at MCA.

"I want to be able to have my hands in everything," he said. "I like to be involved year round, and Lucas gave me that."

Aja knows what kind of team he leaves behind, however.

"I left a very good team," he said. "Having to leave a team that could win district this year made it a real hard decision, but I wanted something brand new.

"Sometimes as a coach you need something like that to motivate you."

Still, the head coach had a tough time saying goodbye to his players, especially the seniors, who started varsity football the same year he arrived.

"I talked to my kids and told them I was going to miss them," Aja said. "They told me the same thing. It was a real hard thing to do."

But goodbye isn't forever. Lucas and MCA are both members of TAPPS 2A, and the two schools are scheduled to play a football game at MCA this fall, according to Aja.

"I rest easy now at night knowing what I am doing," Aja said. "It's not a brand new thing, but new things can be started and I want a hand in that."

MCA athletic director Keith Bollinger was unavailable at press time.

Contact Brent Yarina at sports@courier-gazette.com.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?